Thursday, February 2, 2012

Masala Paal (Almond Milk)

Me & my family don't like to eat almonds as such.....Somehow, one day I bought a big pack of almonds from Costco...hoping that I will eat them.But it never happened. The pack was sitting unopened in my refrigerator for 2 whole months....

One day, while cleaning my refrigerator,I remembered this pack of almonds......which I bought & gave a good rest w/o using them.....I didn't want all my almonds to find their way to the trash....Instead I tried something with it which my family love to drink.....and my guests too....

I prepare this almond masala powder in large quantities.....store them in bottles....refrigerate them. Everyday, either after breakfast or dinner....this hot almond milk.......sip...sip...sip...hmmmm...YUMMY!!!

Ingredients

Almonds (Badam) - 2 handful (No need to remove the skin)
Pepper powder - 1 - 2 sp
Turmeric - 1/4 sp
Cardamom - 1 (use seeds alone & not the skin)
Saffron - For garnishing (optional)
Pistachios - 1 handful (optional)
Milk (Hot boiled) - As required
Sugar - To taste

Method
  1. Add all ingredients (except milk, sugar & saffron) to a mixer / blender.
  2. Grind slowly (better to use pulse mode in mixer) taking care not to break the mixer blades.Do not add water.
  3. Grind till a point so that, 3/4th portion of fine masala powder & 1/4th portion of coarse masala powder is got.
  4. Store in a container & refrigerate.
  5. When required, add 1 - 2 sp of masala powder to a cup, sugar to taste and hot boiled milk.
  6. Pour back & forth between two cups in huge arc - like motions of the hand.
  7. Garnish with a few strands of saffron (optional) and little masala powder.
  8. Serve hot.

Almond milk for kids
  1. Take very little masala powder and grind in a mixer, adding little water to a very fine paste.
  2. Add to milk (boiled & cooled) with required sugar & feed.

Note
  1. Almond milk is a very healthy energetic drink.
  2. When these almonds are taken by pregnant ladies, it enhances the brain development of the growing foetus.
  3. Turmeric is added in little quantity so as to give the nice yellow texture to the milk and also for its medicinal properties.
  4. This milk is good for cold & cough since it has both pepper and turmeric.

2 comments:

  1. Just visiting your blog after long time.. changed so much..
    Nice explanation.. I know who the guest is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites
    really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Many thanks
    My webpage - cooking

    ReplyDelete

Please post your feedbacks and comments